Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Looking At New Houses

Every Fall, I wish I had more sunlight for my garden, a little more distance from my neighbors.  And every year, the neighbors' trees grow a few feet higher and hang over the yard a bit more.

But staying has advantages.  No Homeowner Association, all-electric house (and buried cables, so few outages in storms), familiarity, the ease of staying in place,  city water and sewage, dead end street so little traffic, optical fiber internet service, a fence the cats don't climb all around the backyard, and years of landscaping.  I can walk through the house in pitch-black.

But one thing keeps whispering in my mind.  The longer I wait to move, the harder it will be if I EVER do.  And I will get unhappier the longer I stay.

I've emailed the agent to set up an appointment to visit the property I like.

Pictures...

 Inside is open. 

Wondering, since I moved here from an apartment to a new house...  What does it really take to move a whole house?  I can hardly imagine it and it seems daunting!  A 1000 boxes?  How would I even pack drawers of kitchen stuff? 

The last time I moved I had a living room and a bedroom.  Now I have 20 times all that stuff.  Do the movers pack most of it?  Or do they expect to just find everything small in boxes?  What will they do?

I'm only here now because Im afraid of the moving process.  Its unfamiliar and unkown..

Sadly, the times my parents moved us, we just got sent out of the way.  No learning experience there.


7 comments:

Just Ducky said...

If you have the luxury of having time you can move much of the smaller stuff yourself, or at least box it up and have it ready to go. Last time I moved I packed almost everything. Then paid someone to move furniture, appliances and boxes. I moved sensitive breakable things, clothes and basic kitchen stuff.

Hire 3 guys and a truck as three guys are more efficient. One guy keeps the truck loading smoothly while the other two carry the stuff out. Unloading they all unload. I had them carry all the boxes to the basement, then when I was ready I brought up what I wanted and unpacked it. I had everything well labeled so I knew I could find what I needed.

Worth it not to break your back and I don't like imposing on friends for moving. If something breaks, they pay for it. Friends you don't get that.

The Whiskeratti said...

Moving is a PITA. But that's a nice house. I think movers will do as much or as little as you want to pay them from.

Megan said...

In Australia, you can buy the services you need from the removalist. So, if you wish, you can simply plonk yourself in front of a good show on TV and they'll do all the packing - absolutely everything. Or you can do some of it yourself and leave other parts to them. Or you can do all of it yourself. At the other end, the same thing happens - you can unpack it all yourself, you can unpack some, or you can leave them to unpack the lot.

Looks like a nice house. Is it very far from where you're living now?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Ivan from WMD said...

I always do the packing. And invariably I underestimate how long it will take! Last time I hired moving guys who took the big and heavy stuff. Time was when I could do all the packing and loading and unloading myself. Forget that.

I remember one time when I was a kid we moved from RI to Chicago for my father's job. The company my father worked for paid for the move, so Allied came in and packed everything as it was. And I do mean that--my mother was so pissed on the other end to find ashtrays filled with butts all wrapped up! And potatoes in vegetable bins! And god only knows what else. But it did keep her focused on that for awhile instead of how much she hated Chicago.

Belinda said...

Go for it. Get as many years enjoyment out of a larger property as you can. Build the cats a catio and they will be happy.

pilch92 said...

I have never moved aside from moving from my Dad's house to my married home. I had no furniture or anything pretty much clothes and memorabilia. I can't imagine moving an entire home, I think you would be best to pack yourself so you can purge unwanted items and then have movers move the stuff. It is a tough choice and would be hard to leave behind all your hard work, but if you think you could be happier in another place than you should pursue it.

Katie Isabella said...

I always was under the impression that you pack it. They carry it.

Looking Up

 While I was outside with The Mews, I laid back and looked up.  I thought the tree branches and the clouds were kind of nice. Nothing import...