My shed door has a small garage style door. It came off the track yesterday!
Its not one of the things I've ever worked on before, so it took some examination. The track is attached firmly to the front of the shed. So that hadn't moved. The back of the door support has a triangle of flat metal pieces hanging from the ceiling of the shed. But THEY weren't loose. Bafflement...
OK, the door hangs from wheels in the track with axles going into the door to hold it into the track. While the one that came loose seemed to have the axle come out, I couldn't see why. The door has worked for 9 years and I found nothing loose.
Dang, I hate it when the problem isn't obvious. Well, I reconstructed (in my mind) the way it SHOULD have looked if it was working properly. And saw that the axle holding the track wheel was nearly out of the door. So, to get it working, the axle has to be firmly in the door. OK, that's a start.
So the track is too far away from the door. Why? Nothing loose. Can't see why it came out. But I can see how it is SUPPOSED to be. Can't make the door wider, so the door TRACK has to be closer. Nothing's loose, so an adjustment is needed.
It only took 2 hours... Well, seriously, I had to figure out how the whole thing was put together and how adjustments could be made. It was the back braces. One was set wrong. The back braces have to match the front ones AND the door, and the back ones were over 2" wider.
I found the one bolt that had to be removed and set into another set of brace holes. Was that easy? Of course not! All the other bolts in the track were short aluminum ones that easily fit in and out of the holes in the braces. Not THAT one of course. It was steel and it was long, and it was rusted. The original installers must have run out of the proper short aluminum ones and found this one on the floor of the truck. It was even slightly oversized so they had to screw it into the holes (making threads as they went like with sheet metal screws).
And of course it wasn't easy to get at. I had to break the rust loose (how did it rust inside a dry shed?) with a wrench and a hammer. Then turn the nut off the bolt tiny turns at a time. THEN unscrew the bolt out in tiny turns of a wrench for all 2".
So at least then I could change the hole connections on the 3 flat metal strips acting as the braces. IE, make the triangle smaller and the track moves closer to the door. I did that. Then the track wasn't square to the door, so I had to do the same on the other back side. That went easily. Then it took another adjustment to the original side.
The door slides beautifully now. Well, it MOSTLY did before, but I think it was only pulling the track close until it finally popped loose and I was just assuming it was the weight of the door that took some effort in raising it.
NOW it works as intended... Nearly weightless.
* SIGH * Like I didn't have anything better to do on a nice 70ish day with a list of other PLANNED projects...