Friday, October 10, 2014

Politics

Well, it is less than 3 weeks before the midterm elections, so I am going to get a bit political until then.  Its more than a hobby but less than an obsession.

I don't have a political party by loyalty.  I generally vote Democratic because they support my views here in Maryland.  But mostly, I try to vote be perceived honesty and concerns over issues I care about. 

I consider my self "independent" in the sense that fair voting, honest and "greater good" concerns matter most to me.  I care about fair and competitive election districts, getting as many people to vote as possible, and good honest debates between candidates.  I don't like corporate money in political campaigns; businesses have no legitimate place in elections. 

I'll discuss some particular elections in some detail in the coming few weeks. 

And I will stop posting about politics shortly after the elections until late 2016.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I'm looking forward to reading about it Mark. American politics seems terribly convoluted and concerned about all the wrong stuff from where I sit - it's a wonder that anything worthwhile ever gets done. Is your voting district represented by a Democrat or a Republican now? And is the incumbent expected to win at the mid-terms?

Could you also answer a question for me. What is meant by the term a 'registered Democrat' or a 'registered Republican'? Are they people who are formally a member of a political party? or does it mean something else?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Megan, my State, Maryland, is utterly Democratic. My individual vote means little on the national scale.

Yes, American politics are terribly convoluted, and that is what I am trying to protest about. It shouldn't be that way.

When I was younger, the 2 political were somewhat evenly divided in most US States. I recall having a Republican and a Democrat Senator in my own State at the same time and respecting them both. That is no longer the case. Both the Republican and Democratic Senators were"Progressive".

Not so today.

The terms Democrat and Repulican used to be a bit interchangeable.

There were liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats once. No longer.

All Democrats are liberal and all Republicans are conservagtive these days.

Is sad. It removes nuances and causes political gridlock.




Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...