Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Missing Skeeter

Today is the 5th anniversary of Skeeter's death.  Losing him still hurts.  But all things fade with time, and I almost didn't remember today was "The Day" until this afternoon.  I was actually looking at regular daily pictures of the current cats to decide which to use for today's Mark's Mews cat blog post when I glanced at the date on the computer and changed my planned post.

As the years have passed, I have posted less personal and detailed memories of his passing.  It is good to remember those gone, with love, but more important to attend to the living. 

That is not to say that I can read the early posts of the cat blog without a catch in my throat about those happy years with him (and most of our years together were before I started the blog), and I still can't read the posts and comments about his death without tears.

But there was a surprise.  I finished the brief post recognizing the day, and hit "publish".  The time on the post was 3:45 pm EST.  That was the very moment of his death 5 years ago.  It was a complete coincidence...

I am not one who pays much attention to coincidences.  I find them more "interesting" than "meaningful".  But it sure was a surprise when I noticed the blogpost time!

Some of it may not be very odd.  I often post in mid-afternoon, and after 2500 posts, I'm sure there have been others posted at the same time.  But I would be surprised if there were 2 other posts at the exact same time of day about such a singular event unintentionally.  I think (without checking) that I did deliberately post at that exact time on this date previously.  This was not one of those times.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I hadn't noticed the anniversary but was pleased you'd posted. I still miss my Cat of a Lifetime and it's been 8 years - and he was only 2 1/2 years old when he died, so I didn't have him that long. My husband doesn't like to talk about him because it hurts, whereas I'd like to talk about him every day. Your post was a good reminder that I'm not 'mad' to still miss a pet after such a long time. Thank you.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Megan, sure wish I knew how to contact you. But 2 1/2 years or 16, some special cats get into your heart more than some others do.

I suspect I'm not the only one who wants to know more about you and your "Cat Of A Lifetime".

I sure wish you would start a blog or at least offer an email connection. It frustrates me that I can't contact you after all your wonderful comments. I understand that you do want it that way, but please understand that you are a friend and I want to contact you too.

All of US at Mark's Mews...

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...