Saturday, December 28, 2013

Its Hard Getting Old And Fussy

A niece is getting married 2 hours away in February.  I can't get myself to attend.  The drive would be horrible to me, I hate long ceremonies, I don't like loud music, and I hate dancing.  And the whole thing is being done at night.  So I can't even enjoy any champagne if I want to drive home afterwards, and I hate driving in the dark.  I even hate ceremonies.  When I was younger, I even hated ceremonies involving ME!  I didn't even attend my own college graduation.  They say "enjoy myself" and just spend the night in a motel. 

Right, stay in a motel overnight and bring home cockroaches and bedbugs...

I love the niece dearly, but I won't drive 2 hours to a long boring ceremony and the threat of insect infestations.  I hope I'm not the only one who feels that way.  But if I am, it wouldn't change my opinion in the least.

I attended a few weddings when I was younger.  In the worst, they played 60 minutes of "personally meaningful music" before they got on to the actual ceremony, which took ANOTHER 60 minutes of pledges.  I was ready to run gagging and screaming from the room.  I won't do that again, ever.

My tolerance for long drawn-out ceremonies is even less these days.  Some of us are just NOT into ceremonies...

5 comments:

Katie Isabella said...

I have to say, in the case of my son and his wife...the entire ceremony was over (when it started) in half an hour. They said their vows...there was prayer by the Pastor.They exchanged rings and walked back down the aisle. There was a reception in the large church reception room and they stayed several hours and bada boom...they got in their WELL decorated car, and left.
:-)

Megan said...

I feel exactly the same way Mark.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mariodacatsmom said...

I don't mind weddings, but I don't enjoy attending one 2 hours away nor do I enjoy the loud music. Sounds like you should send your regrets!!

Katnip Lounge said...

Time to purchase a very nice present! Scott and I loathe "functions" too. We find cash soothes a lot of ruffled feathers.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

I love weddings. So much that I used to be a wedding consultant, lol. Good thing I love them, both of my nieces and my nephew are all engaged! I'm helping plan two of the weddings, no date for the third yet. I don't like overly long ceremonies though. I'm sure your niece will understand and maybe you'll send her a nice gift to make up for missing the wedding?

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...