Sunday, August 4, 2013

Angelique

I grew up reading mostly science and science fiction.  I was never into fairy tales (according to my mother's memories (even as a child).  By the time I was 11 or 12, I had exhausted the local library's collection of "young adult" science fiction and was allowed to take out adult books.  In 10th grade, I was so far beyond the usual modern novels (Dickens bored me to death) being discussed, and the lame weekly vocabulary tests )it was the 60's), that I was allowed to sit in the back of the room and just read anything in the teachers bookshelf as long as I produced a book report weekly.

Forward to 20.  I was majoring in Political Science, thinking of a law degree, and thinking a political future.  New scince fiction being few at the time, I happened upon something called "Historical Fiction" set in France at the time of Louis The Sun King (and my minor degree was history).  I asked an employee about it and he explained that it was actual history told from the point of view of a minor or even "symbolic" person alive at the time.  And he said there was "Historical Romances" that combined that with history (like Gone With The Wind.  But he said this particular book was (generally) accurate history and some exciting romance.  And had read it and was impressed.

Ok, I needed something to read other than how to construct political polls and the histories of English Kings...

I fell in love with Angelique, and who wouldn't?  From being the daughter of a destitute minor Baron in rural southern France, to the heights of the King's court, to abject poverty among the knaves of Paris, to a new rise as a commercial restaranteur, to married nobility again, a new fall, and a rise again in Canada with her first love, and other challenges, I read each book time and time again.

And then it all seemed to end.  I understand there are 3 more books not translated into English.  I await those.

But a week ago, I found a DVD version of the first few books made in French and overdubbed in English.  The reviews were good, but I know the story well enough, I could probably follow it in French.

The dubbing is so good I can't even notice it.  The DVD movie version doesn't follow the books perfectly, but I know the missing parts and errors well enough that I don't mind that much.

I watched Part 1 of 3 two nights ago, Part 2 last night, and was enraptured.  Tonight I will watch Part 3 of 3.  Sadly, that will be only half of the books I've read of the series and I haven't even read the last 3 books (available in French only). 

Someone should translate the last books into English.  And someone should make 2 movies to cover the last 6 (?) books.

And someone should make decent movies of the Jean Auel series of books about Ayla, the equally wonderful heroine I discovered after the Angelique books stopped.  Aren't there enough Spiderman and X-Men movies now (of which I also admire) to suggest heroines from the past?

No comments:

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...