Saturday, May 4, 2013

Trailer Time!

A front loader bucket of Leaf Pro, about 25 cubic feet.  $30 where the same in bags at the local big box store cost about $60.
The before pic for the early tomato bed.  It's close to the house, so it stays warmer.
I started to add the Leaf Pro,  The box was only half full of soil (the falling down raingutters last year dumped tons of water and washed soil out).  The raingutters have been replaced.  So I decided to fill it with half compost. 
I dug the soil deeply, then added the compost and dug that deeply.  Then I added more and dug it deeply again.  It is one of the 2 sunniest spots left in the yard.  The soil has been left alone a few years.  With the bed being half compost, if I can't grow heirloom tomatoes there this year, I will have to give up here and consider a community garden spot.

4 comments:

Mariodacat said...

M says she wishes she could hire you out to come over here for a few days. She says you are very thorough. I say that dirt looks good enough to roll around in.

Tina T-P said...

You should be able to grow some pretty bodacious tomatoes in those beds. We like the purple ones. :-) T.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Tina T-P, The routine taste-test winner tomato is Brandywine, and I plant that cuz it IS great! But my all time favorite is Cherokee Purple. The tastes are so complex yet balanced. Prudens Purple is also really good. I love the purples.

Tina T-P said...

I think that Cherokee Purple is the one that The Shepherd planted this year - Along with purple asparagus, purple cabbage AND purple cauliflower (which cooks up to be kind of grey blue ) I don't mind, as long as I get rid of all the slugs euchhhh! Ha ha ha :-) T.

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...