Sunday, January 27, 2013

Offline (Sort Of)

My Mac Mini died a few days ago.  A minor matter of a toppled glass of wine...  It didn't seem to hit the computer, but when I picked it up to clean under it, it stopped sending to the monitor.   I hoped it was the exposed adaptor cable (insulation loose at one end and split at the other - its old).  I spent Friday trying to get a replacement adaptor cable, and by the time I did, and tried it out, it was too late to get the Mac Mini to a repair shop (they are few and far between around here).

Since the only "near" repair shop for Apples is closed weekends, it probably doesn't matter.  I'll be delivering it Monday morning.  It will probably take 2 days to clean and/or repair, so I am mostly off-line until then.

How am I online now, you ask?  I still have my old Mac Deskpro.  It can do a little bit of work still (like access my blog account).  It's mostly an expensive doorstop these days, but I'm glad I kept it around.

It was great at it's time...  TWO 2GB hard drives and whatever passed for serious RAM and processors in 2006. 

I can't get email on it because both it is set up for an ISP I no longer use AND the memory is too little for my current system.  When it failed in 2010, I COULD have seriously upgraded it after thorough cleaning and parts replacement.  EXCEPT that the failure was due to cigarette smoke accumulation (causing overheating) and Apple repair shops will not clean a computer with that problem.  "TOXIC ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD", according to Apple policy.  It would have been nice if they had advised me of that when I bought it.  Yeah, I know, "serves me right for smoking"...

PC repair stores don't care about that.  They used to just clean my old PCs and replace the overworked fan.  If you smoke and are considering buying Apple products, be aware of that.

The Mac Minis don't work the same way as large desktop units.  I don't know why.  Maybe they use flash drives and no fan.  All I know is that after 3 years, when I took the Mac Mini cover off (an adventure in itself) it looked sparkly-clean.

I'm not defending smoking, I'm ready to quit.  But it IS interesting that PC repair shops are all independent and THEY will clean any smoker's PC while Apple stores (with a virtual monopoly on repairs) will not.  Its their right to do so...

Forgive the minor rant.  I'm conflicted between my desire to have a computer cleaned and repaired, and my understanding that smoke debris is probably not the best thing to have to clean out.  I'm just annoyed all over again about the $3,500 Mac Deskpro doorstop that's been sitting around for years.  But I AM glad I kept it around.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to even post this.

PS - If you are very anti-smoking and want to tell me how bad it is, please don't.  I already agree with you.  Seriously, I feel stupid enough about smoking as it is.  And I am at the point where I really WILL stop.

3 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Any of us who have vices will soon be "shamed" I'm afraid into stopping or being held up for ridicule. Sad, but am seeing more and more in the press about smoking AND eating. Am waiting for the day when sugar is taxed like tobacco. If you're not hurting anyone what anyone does that is legal shouldn't be scruntizined.

Good to know about the Apple products. Interesting too.

Mariodacatsmom said...

That's very interesting about Apple/Mac products. I did not know that. Yes, we all have out vices - very one of us and knowing they are bad for you doesn't make it any easier to quit.

Unknown said...

We are bi-lingual at our house. my company is Mac and I have worked with Macs forever, but I like PCs. I can fix them, I can upgrade them, I can have a super duper juggernaut for half the price. The software is better (the software I need to online help and training creation works better on a pc). My boss likes that I have 6 pcs (dating back to 2003-all working) with 5 different flavors of Windows (and 1 liniux) because I can test issues that our clients are having - as fast as they email me.
The Mac they gave me for work, well, the battery blew up, the OS died, the second hard disk died today, and the damn thing overheats all the time. It is slower than my 4 year old laptop even though it is supposed to be speed demon.
And that's my rant! Thanks!
Ciao
Nellie's Mom
PS Oh yes, cleaning out the tobacco tar is WAY easier on the PC. I do it about once every 2 months

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...