Saturday, September 1, 2012

Roof Replacement

Well, it sure got noisy around here today.  Last week, a branch fell and poked a small hole in the roof, so I had a person come out to take a look at it.  He did a quick patch job, but we discussed a fuller replacement job because the "20 year" shingles were 26 years old.  I found him on Angie's List and he had top ratings in every category, so I decided to get a quote for replacing the shingles. roofing paper, and any plywood sheathing that needed it in his opinion.

And since the vinyl siding was the same age, and abraded by weather to the point were even pressure cleaning it every few months left it dirty and ugly, I got a quote for new siding and gutters with covers.

The roof work was done today.  The crew did a thorough efficient job and the crew manager explained what they were doing every step of the way.  The siding has to wait about a week, because the trim color I selected had to be special ordered.

There really isn't too much to show about a roof job.  It's too flat (and high) to get any really good pictures.

It was amazing watched them go up and down the ladder, walk along the edge of the roof, toss stuff up to the roof from the ground, etc, though.
Here is a guy shoving plywood sheathing up a ladder.  I would have difficulty just carrying the plywood on the ground!
And if I was the guy on the top, there is NO possibility I could get it the rest of the way up.
So "let it rain"!

I can't wait for the new siding and covered gutters...

9 comments:

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

They finished it all in one day? Wow, lucky you! Yeah, the way they walk around up there gives me the willies... I'm always thinking someone's gonna fall and break their neck and I'll be too spazed out to properly dial 911!

Ramblingon said...

I have a pilot's license but I am afraid of the roof! My license needs renewing and I need a medical etc as it's been too long since I did those things. So..just saying some things still scare me.

I want covered gutters but I bet they are expensive as heck.

Mariodacat said...

Mario's mom here. It's looking very nice. We went thru this 2 summers ago. Quite a project and we too were so happy when it was completed. It was a noisy thing to experience - especially the roof.

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

I hope they do a better job picking up the nails then the roofers who replaced our roof did. We were going to go with a metal roof but since the decking had to be replaced stuck with shingles. I have to say over all I am pleased.

Good luck with your roof and I hope you can stand the noise.

Shaggy and Scout said...

With a good crew the work goes fast!

Unknown said...

Wow1 Those guys did a great job! It is always nice to get good trades people who come out and "get it done"
Nellie's Mom

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you got your roof replaced! It’s fortunate that it was high time to replace the roof when you noticed the hole. Shingles definitely take time to be installed; doing it in a day is no easy feat! I think my husband and our good neighbor took at least two days to get ours installed. It was hard to bear with the noise at that time, I can tell you! Well, at least the hard part is over for you. Good luck placing your new sidings! Tell your crew to stay safe while they’re up there!

Shawnda Nix

Unknown said...

Wow, look at that hassle free work! Hiring a professional roofing contractor surely saved you the physical strain of doing the job yourself. And did you say that the work was done in one day? How efficient was that!


Rolf Matchen

Unknown said...

The fact that your shingles lasted 6 more years than they were supposed to is definitely laudable. I think your roof had maxed out its life span, and it was really time to change it. Maybe the tree branch falling onto it was a sign! Did your insurance cover the cost of the new roof, or did you have to spring for it yourselves?

-- Karen Burgess

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...