Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Living With Dad, 6

Wow, Dad got up at 2 am and turned on the TV to watch Fox News for about 10 minutes.  Then went back to bed.  I guess I better start documenting his activities.  Because I'll forget them and it may become important some day.

Last night, he suddenly started asking where his wine was.  I thought he meant his vermouth because he calls that white wine.  Well, I suppose it is, but he insisted he had a bottle of red wine in the fridge.

He did not have a bottle of red wine in the fridge.  He has never had a bottle of red wine in my fridge.  He doesn't even LIKE red wine.  I think there was a very old bottle of red wine in his fridge in FL.  He is forgetting where he is again, in time AND space.

He usually has these confused moments around sundown.  Travis at HealthSouth said its actually CALLED "Sundowner".    I'm getting to avoid asking difficult questions at sundown.  He gets very confused then.  And its so weird!  One moment he is acting fairly normal, then like a light switch turned off, he make no sense.  I need to look this up.  Maybe there are ways I can help him around this daily confusion.

It is hard watching this happen. 

I'm tempted to go through the rest of the documents in his duffel bag.  It would be so easy for ME to do it.  But I won't.  It matters that he sees every document, even if it is so slow.  *sigh*

Dad complained about the sheets on the bed.  I washed/dried them last night and made his bed.  No static either.  He says he itches.  Well I can't get him to shower more than once a week, of COURSE he itches.  Am I supposed to drag him into the shower?  I would if I should.  Should I?

5 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Ah, Sundowners...it's a real thing.

Perhaps your Dad's skin is dry...I think he should bathe more than once a week; how about an oatmeal BATH or something like that for his skin? You could say it's medicinal, not for hygiene. Does he have a stool to sit on in the shower? Perhaps he's unbalanced with his eyes shut and afraid of falling.

Mariodacatsmom said...

Catnip Lounge had some good suggestions. Is he on lots of medications? If so, that could also be a part of his itching, and maybe allergies to your area - wherever you live. I take it he lived in Florida. You could get some Palmer's Skin Therapy Lotion (Cocoa Butter Formula) available in any Walgreens Drug Store and probably most others. I have Parkinson's and also itchy skin from drugs - it helps for 24 hours anyway.

Katie Isabella said...

He may be allergic to the detergent you use. Old folks have sensitive skin and he may be reacting to the detergent or fabcic sftener if there is any. It's a never ending quest, I think and again, we are all right here with you each step along.

Bella said...

Sundowners is very real. My Mother is in a nursing home and Sundowners happens there big time. I try to not bring up any thing that requires serious answers. For the showering it might be a good thing to try that after Sundowners set in as he will be a bit more maleable.

Shaggy and Scout said...

Hi Mark-
I've caught up with your blog entries here like I've been meaning to do.
You are such a kind, loving and patient man. It really must take effort to get through some days but you are treating your dad with dignity and respect and keeping him involved in his life. Hopefully you are keeping your sanity as well. It helps to have kitties to pet!
So many good ideas in all the comments throughout here especially from those who are going through the same thing or have gone through it already with their parents.
(((hugs))) Lynne

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...