Friday, June 1, 2012

Living With Dad, 2

It's an adventure without end (well, yes there will be and end, but you know what I mean).  Sometimes he is lucid, other times he makes no sense.  Sometimes he remembers details of events from years ago, sometimes he isn't sure whether we had dinner.

It is taking a whole new way of discussing things for me.  The best way I can describe it is a spiral.  I start a subject that needs to be discussed (like "bank accounts").  Dad takes the subject in directions I can not anticipate ("checkbook" becomes "old checks from investments that he has cashed and stashed in an old checkbook cover").  The conversation may take an hour and look like this:

I start on the outside and slowly narrow the terms as he understands them until I get a little closer each few minutes.  I ask a question and see how that processes.  Then I adjust the terms in other words to get closer to the fact that I need to get from him.  It can be "difficult" sometimes. 

I sometimes succeed to some degree, sometimes entirely, but usually only in part.  Last night's discussion was about bank accounts.  He says he has many, but I can't pin him down on what kinds and what banks.  And it's not his fault; he doesn't know himself.

There IS slow progress.  I have figured out that he has 3 banks.  I haven't been able to figure out which banks have what kinds of accounts because he wont let me look through his "checkbooks" (which have no blank checks or deposit slips, just old used ones) and his actual documents are in a duffel bag of unorganized papers. 

I want to set up a file drawer of folders for him (well, for ME actually), but he thinks that is "too complicated".  I may just have to stay up after he goes to bed and sort out documents all over the living room and just DO IT!  It makes me uncomfortable to act so unilaterally, but I guess I have to stop thinking of him as a functioning adult.

Apparently, I have to become "Mom/Financial Manager/Dad" to my child-father...  I CAN, it just takes some relational adjustments.

Mom died in 2010, but she was mentally alert, so I don't even have her last days as an example.  Dad is more physically able, but is slowly failing mentally.  I have NO experience with that up close.

I'm learning fast, I'm patient, and I've lived a rather flexible lifestyle for years.  It helps that I'm retired, have no financial problems, and plenty of time to help Dad.  But dementia is a cruel thing.

The good news is that Dad eats about anything Standard American (as do I, except fish), and I enjoy cooking.  So he is eating a lot better here than at his home (hot dogs and cereal, it seems).  He is able to prepare the dinner salad while I make the rest of the meal (a meat, green veg, yellow/orange veg, and he MUST have a potato).

The bad news is that he is confused (mostly) away from the house.  Examples:

When we packed up his clothes, we missed the laundry hamper.  He only had 2 pair of "tighty-whiteys" here.  And he didn't tell me.  So I found out today and we went shopping.  He found the boy's underwear aisle and I couldn't get him out of it.  He just kept looking at the boy's stuff.  So I fund his size and brand 2 aisles over (after some effort - Walmart doesn't stock much of that "old guy underwear anymore).  He spent 10 minutes searching through boy underwear for his size.  He didn't want to stop even when I brought him the kind he wanted.  And he had been washing his only 2 pairs of underwear in the bathroom sink!

Shopping for tub attachments to help him shower, we went to Home Depot.  We found a side tub handle and a tub bench for him to sit on.  Since it was for him, he paid.  Or tried to.  He kept trying to use him AARP Membership card to pay.  He INSISTED it was a credit card (well, it DID have a mag-strip).  I knew he had a real credit card, but he would NOT let me just get it out of his wallet.  Instead, the poor clerk and I had to wait while he searched and examined every shopper card, drivers license, etc he could find.

I have been explaining to MANY people lately that Dad is "old and having problems" so that they understand...  To a person, they have all understood and been patient. 

Dad is considerate of the cats.  He warns them when he is approaching, and when they sometimes don't move, he bends over carefully and scratches them nicely.  He says he likes only dogs, but I think he just won't admit he likes cats too.  He IS kindly to pets.

So things are getting settled slowly here.  MY bedroom is a clutterred mess because everything "stored" that was in Dad's new bedroom is now in my computer room and bedroom.  I'll sort all that out later.  Half the battle is getting Dad used to some new places to keep his stuff, and the other half is getting him to remember where that is.  I know it will take time, and he IS trying his best.

I got him to a dentist today for a bad tooth.  He couldn't understand why Angie's List was better than just picking a name out of the phone book, but he DID like the dentist I found.  Next week's medical challenge is finding an internist/geriatrics doctor for him. 

Can't wait to find out what the next surprises will be...


8 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Mark, I am with you on this. Janice (my MIL) went thru the same thing, only we experienced it at 1200 miles away--she was living with my BIL (who turned out to be a total POS.) I think you would be wise in getting financial Power of Attorney; do it while your Dad can sign intelligently. And maybe the living will, etc. It sounds cold but it truly is needed. For us it was essential in getting Janice her benefits and sorting out her living arrangements when she could no longer care for herself.
Trish

Thumper said...

It's going to be a long strange trip...but at least you can get him out of the house and he'll eat. My mom has turned into a 3 year old and really should be in assisted living but one of my sisters insists on having her at home (this is not anywhere ideal in her situation, but there's not much the rest of us can do.)

You do have to become your parent's parent...and it kinda sucks.

Ditto on getting PoA...it'll save you some real headaches later.

Sadie & Itty said...

I'm going thru this with my mother. She just moved in with me last week. Some of the same things. Some days she can't find her bedroom. Definitely, get the PoA done NOW.

Hang in there. It may be tough but I think it is worth it.

Katie Isabella said...

Yes, PoA, Mark. I have all that done when I re-did my will 10 years or so ago. I have a living will and they have the PoA. I'm confident they won't throw me under a buss going by. :-)))

Ramblingon said...

I am back to try to follow with my human account. katie Isabella follows you..thats my baby girl. I am Ramblingon.

Mariodacatsmom said...

Hi Mark. it's nice to meet you, I heard about your blog from Katie Isabella's mom. My mother had alzheimers along with two of her brothers and 1 sister. my dad was the caregiver for my mother, but I know what he went thru with her. You have a tough job = one of the toughest there is. I'm hoping you have a good support system because you will need it. Many communities have adult day care facilities. I suggest you investigate a couple to become familiar with them and what the offer/charge/ etc. You will need some help You will need help at some point. I'm also going to refer you to a Twitter friend of mine who is caring for her husband who has Alzheimers. She started a support group for people such as yourself. She publishes a newletter full of wonerful tips for any caregiver. You'll see her link in my next comment.

Mariodacat said...

I'd like to refer you to http://seniorcaretips.wordpress.com


I think you'll find her newsletter very helpful. Good luck, and I'll follow you blog now.

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

We thinks he likes cats too.

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...