Friday, November 25, 2011

The Lord of the Rings

I happened to watch LotR, Fellowship of the Ring tonite.  I think it is the best of the 3 movies.    I never liked the one where Frodo and Sam are slogging through the swamps and fighting Shelob.  Quite frankly, that was dull.  Essential to the story, but it didn't develop the story much.  And I never quite thought the ending was right.  Dramatic, yes, but I always thought Frodo should have been able to throw the Ring into the fires of Mt Doom himself.

He had already managed to release or offer the Ring several times.  He handed it to Gandalf at home where it was tossed in the fireplace, placed it on the table at the Council of Elrond, offered it to Galadriel, and held it out for taking by Aragorn just before the Fellowship split up. 

And I'm one who gets annoyed by story changes.  Frodo DIDN'T go over the cliff in the books when Gollum fell clutching the ring, for example.  And it wasn't Arwen who saved him from the Black Riders over the river, it was Glorfindel. 

But that's not why I am mentioning all of this.

I wish I could read the books for the first time again.  Watching the movie, I knew what the characters were going to say too many times in precise quotes.  I wish I did not have that memory.  It may sound stupid, but I really wish I could read the story anew. 

Sone day, there will be a forgetfulness pill, where you take a pill, watch a movie (or read a book) and you will forget it entirely.  And enjoy the watching or reading brand new...

PS, my other prediction is that someone will produce a perpetual kittenhood shot.  Cats will stay kittens until old age and suddenly die at the usual 16 years old.  Who doesn't want utterly cute kittens?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Thats not a stupid wish. I ALWAYS wish I could forget my favorite movies or books to get that same thrill of the first read/watch.

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

Artemisia is the ultimate perpetual kitten. When you look at her face you can tell she is an adult but at 5# she still seems very kittenish to us.

Love Lord of the Rings but like you I didn't care for The Two Towers (had a hard time getting through it in the book), and as everyone here agrees the book was MUCH better then the movies. My youngest son actually read The Two Towers after seeing the first movie because he wanted to know how the movie ended. I warned him that was the hardest of the books to read. He eventually went back and read The Fellowship of the Ring to see how it differed from the movie.~Alasandra

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...