Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Planning To Move

I would like to move.  For many reasons.  As I mentioned last time, it is getting hard to garden here, and that is a major hobby these days.  But the neighborhood is going downhill (crazy drunk neighbors and gang fights becoming more common). 

Parts of the yard have always been a problem.  I live at the bottom of a long sloping neighborhood, the front yard has standing water for days after heavy rains.  I'm across the street from a swamp (something no one pointed out when I bought the property) and the mosquitos are fierce.  When the Asian Tiger mosquitoes moved into the area, it got worse.  I get bitten just going out to get my mail!  Some of the very old huge trees near the house are looking weaker, and I don't want to be here when one finally falls on it (and it would cost a fortune to have them removed).  The house is 25 years old and will need serious maintenance in the next 10 years (roof, driveway, fence, deck).

I'm 61 years old and need to plan for my older years and I am getting tired of stairs.  I want a flat house!  Nothing big.  Basically, a ranch house with an attached garage and a workshop.  I have been finding some decent houseplans.

And, I have to admit, I did a lot of DIY stuff when I moved in here that I wasn't experienced at (and before I had decent equipment).  I want to just escape all that and start fresh (I'll limit my future DIY to furniture and birdfeeders)!  I chose this place because it HAD mature trees.  I'll choose the next place because it DOESN'T.  I'll hope to cover a new open roof with solar panels and put in a geothermal heat pump.  A system that just blows in 50 degree air from the cool underground all Summer sounds very good to me.

I would LOVE to start landscaping again from scratch.  I did everything piecemeal, and it never did quite come together.  Its not UGLY, but a fresh start would be nice.  I could stay and try to fix everything the way I want it, but some parts (like the shady neighbor trees) can't be fixed.

But the idea of moving is daunting!  I have SO MUCH stuff accumulated.  And the idea of moving all my heavy woodworking equipment seems difficult and expensive.  Cabinet saw, floor drill press, joiner, planer, radial arm saw.  Same with the yard equipment:  Riding mower, push mower, chipper, tiller, snowblower, large slow-smoker; stuff a yard person accumulates in 25 years...

Then there is all the inside stuff.  The major furniture is simple to move, and I don't have that much of it.  No sofas, big chairs, beds, etc.  A waterbed folds up into small parts.  Its all the small stuff...  I guess I could have several yard sales.  But I have so many small things difficult to pack up.

The last time I moved, I was renting.  I had to pack up a dozen boxes of books, kitchen plates and cookware, a few standard pieces of furniture, a few boxes of hand tools, and a simple bedroom.  I have 10 times as much stuff now, at least!  And I want to keep most of it.  It's scary, but I am making plans...

4 comments:

MTVA said...

Wishing you best of luck in your journey out of there. Part of me looks forward to my upcoming move as an adventure, but mostly I feel quite daunted by all the hard work and details to endure. Once we are in our 60's we are more tired than when we were young pups! Make a start, and a list, and start getting something done every day if possible, to work toward your goal. You can do it!

Just Ducky said...

Yes it is daunting, but you can do it! Mum did it. Start clearing out as you can. Don't be afraid to hire a local mover. They charge by the hour but let them move the really heavy stuff. You move the rest. Worth it.

Ellie and her three cats said...

our mom moved twice within a two year period. First was a doublewide forclosure that was ment to start a family in, when that fell through they sold it after all the work that was put in it (she still misses the above ground pool and fence) now we have a much smaller house, 1100 to 1200sq foot house that is just right. with a smaller yard. needed some work and has had some work, but they really talked the owners down and got a nice deal... its on a main town road but sits on a hill. be patient hire someone or get friend to help, and youll find a good place. you could always move south to milder winters and hotter summers lol

Megan said...

Mark - I agree with the suggestion that you pay professionals to do it. It's unlikely that you own something that they haven't dealt with before. They'll have some big burly blokes, loads of special lifting and carrying equipment, packaging - it's the way to do it. You can keep everything that you want to keep, or even pack up absolutely everything and perhaps do the sorting out and throwing out as you unpack at the other end. Last time I moved I was pleasantly surprised by how little it cost to have professionals do it. What have you got to lose by getting a quote sooner rather than later?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...