Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cat Fence Enclosure Idea

Well, Ayla getting over the fence is difficult enough.  Today I saw Marley descending into the yard.  Unfortunately, I couldn't tell if he had tried and failed or was returning to the yard.  But it makes the requirement to keep them in the yard more urgent.

I've seen systems of nets attached to fences at angles, but the cost is high per foot and I have about 450 feet of 6' high backyard fence.  And I have seen where smooth hard plastic sheeting is attached to the upper 2' of fencing (which I suspect works well).  But that is also expensive.

So I have been pondering other, less expensive, designs.  I think I have one and want opinions on it.  It seems simple enough, but I haven't seen it on any "cat containment" sites.  I know I can construct it (it is uncomplicated but tedious).  My concerns are first, will it work, and second, is it safe.

I would provide a sketch, but my Mac doesn't seem to have a simple drawing program that can be saved in the formats demanded by Blogger.  I can't figure out how to do something so simple in Photoshop, and I can't save in the required formats from Word Art, Excel Draw, or Google Layout.  And Photoshop won't open those to change the format.

But it isn't complicated.  There is a 6' high alternate board wood fence.  I can buy vinyl coated wire mesh fence in 2'x50' rolls.  I will cut the rolls into 8' lengths and bend them 90 degrees the long way.  That gives an "L".  One part of the "L" gets attached to the fence, the other part makes a 1' wide "ceiling".  In case I'm describing it poorly, it would look something like this:

|
|----------
|
|
|
|

I could bend the wire at 45 degrees upward if that improved anything.  The vinyl coated wire mesh costs only $27 for 2'x50' roll, is easy for a person to bend, but pretty stiff to a cat.  I've been using the stuff as plant supports and cages for years.  The vinyl couating makes it quite weatherproof.  I'm thinking 8' sections because that is the distance between fence posts, plus I have a couple of 8', 4"x4" posts I can use to bend it.  I can attach it with a heavy duty electric staple gun.

So, I'm looking for errors, and PLEASE don't hold back.  Tell me ANYTHING you think might cause a problem in construction, in safety for the cats, or safety of wildlife.  Or anything else.  I spent a career as a project manager where negative ideas where often the most important contributions from the team.

So, thoughts?

4 comments:

Megan said...

Mark
I think it would probably work better if the mesh was bent at 45 degrees (angled up), rather than 90°. First, the highest edge of the mesh is higher with 45° than with 90°. Second, if the cats did manage to reach the edge of the 90° overhang, it might find it easier to get over the edge than if it was at 45°, although either angle would have the cats swinging Tarzan-like by the forepaws as they negotiated their way to the edge to get over!
You commented that netting cat enclosures are expensive. But (i) you wouldn't necessarily have to enclose your whole yard. Perhaps just a section of the verandah and down into the garden proper, so the cats can get outside, lie in the sun, watch the birds etc and (ii) my experience with purpose-specific cat netting is that it blends well with gardens/trees, so isn't too much of an eyesore; it lasts for a long time; it works; and (iii) given how important the cats' welfare is to you, is the cost such a consideration? That is, if you make the investment now, and can be confident that it will work well and last a lifetime, why not see it as an investment?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

Too bad I can't really channel the cats for their opinion. It looks as if it would work to me. The only thing I would worry about would be if slinky Ayla could fit through the mesh. I don't think Ayla is as small as Arty, but Arty walks right through Fenris' fence. Granted she is the only one that can do that. Socks climbs the fence and I am not sure if Scylla can get out as I have never seen her go over the fence. The one time she attempted to climb it she didn't make it. ~Alasandra

The Lee County Clowder said...

If you are planning to reinforce the mesh with wood, angle iron, or something similar, it might work. Our first concern is that if a couple of your cats decide to hang from the mesh, it would start to bend down, so they could climb over it without supports.

Some places that might give you ideas here and here. If you haven't searched for 'cat enclosures' or something similar, give that a shot, too.

Good luck, and remember: Kitties are sneaky!

Chrissie said...

Angus' Mum says: "Mark, I like your idea and it seems very similar to option #2 on the website suggested by the Clowder. With that said, I also wonder if U-shaped nails would be better than staples. Do all the furple have their front claws? Can't remember. Naturally, you'd catproof trees, deck, etc., from being used as a springboard to freedom. Go for it!

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...