Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflections on 2010

2010 was not a good year.  It was a hard year for many people, but I'm not talking about that.

And, since I am alive, healthy, and my 2 current cats are young and happy, I'm not talking about that either.  I'm looking at the "related" losses.

My dear cat, LC, went over The Bridge in January.  While she wasn't "the cat of my life", she was a good cat.  Friendly, neat, undemanding, and companionable.  Mostly, she was Skeeter's friend.  And since Skeeter was "the cat of my life" until Dec 2008, her companionship to him made HIS days wonderful and I thank her for that.  After Skeeter left us, she was a good friend to me.  Both of them lived past 16 years old and are missed.  Burying her in the frozen January garden was very hard, physically and emotionally.  And when she went, that was the last contact with Skeeter.

The garden was a disaster last year.  The Spring was cold and rainy, the Summer hot and dry.  The small crops never grew, the cukes and pole beans just sat there at a few inches, and the heirloom tomatoes died in July.  I got only a dozen tomatoes and I LOVE tomatoes.

My youngest sister died in August.  She had some brain blood vessel problem that took her life short.  She was a dear friend, a fellow organic gardener (much better than me), a wonderful mother to 3 kids, and I miss her very much.  She was 16 years younger than me and I was her adored older brother.  I wish it had been me instead.  I'm just a single old guy and my loss would mean little.  She had a family who needed her..

I lost my Mom in September.  She was old and had Parkinson's and other problems.  But she was the person who taught me to read and write, and to love Broadway musicals and classical music when I was older.  She taught me to cook. She did so much else, but you get the idea.

A tale of a vegetable peeler...  When I set up my first apartment around age 20, Mom gave me a few items.  One was a cheap vegetable peeler.  It was old when she gave it to me 40 years ago.  Over the years, it has been honed to perfection.  It takes the thinnest peels off carrots and tosses them off.  A new one I bought does not.  Every time I use that old peeler, I think of Mom.  And I have a few other kitchen tools like that.  Goodbye Mom, I love you.  And I will remember you every day by the things I have from you.  Things that you used and touched...


So I sadly say farewell to those I have lost this year and hope that 2011 is kinder to those I know.  And if this happens to be my year to go, I want everyone to know ahead of that time that I enjoyed our time together.  I loved it all.  No one knows when the last day comes, so I want to make sure to thank everyone "in case".

Well, let's see what 2011 has to offer.  I hope it is kinder...

4 comments:

AFSS said...

Wishing you a kinder and happier 2011.

I can so relate to your story of the vegetable peeler. I have an old one(inherited from my Grandmother) that looks awful but does a great job peeling vegetables. The fancy new one that looks great doesn't do nearly as well. ~Alasandra

Just Ducky said...

Purrs and Hugs from us. We know about rough years. Although mum makes no attempt at growing foods, just flowers.

ScottinVictoria said...

I can relate to the peeler too mate - things I have, given to me by my grandmother, remind me of her and the times we had together. I'm not a big collector of 'things', but I am learning to appreciate how daily life stuff and their associated memories are important to me.

To a better year my friend - thanks for the card - we appreciated it!

Scott

Snowbrush said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat, your mother, and your sister. I lost my schnauzer a month ago today. As losses go, I find that dogs are harder than parents. We still have a 13 year old blue heeler who is blind, and we now have a new cat, our first cat since 1971. I really don't know if I could ever feel as close to a cat as to a dog, but I like them just the same, and I'm happy to note that cat lovers who visit me absolutely go bonkers over this cat--we named him Brewsky.

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...