Saturday, November 13, 2010

Front Landscaping Boxes 3

I expected to finish planting the 2nd 100 daffodils today, but only got 2/3 the way through.  And here, I thought it was going to go EASIER today!  It's hard to get used to it getting dark at 5 PM...

I thought it would be easier today because there were fewer landscaping flags in the way, and I thought I had the procedure down pat.   I had been using a spade entirely, but I also used a post hole digger today.  It made it easier, but (oddly) longer).  I think mostly it was because I was digging better and deeper holes, plus I was having a hard time avoiding stepping on yesterday's planted spots.

Today, I was getting the holes deeper (10" with the post hole digger) so that I could refill a few inches with the better surface soil.  More work now, but the bulbs will appreciate it for years to come.  Avoiding the previous plantings was REALLY awkward.  2 feet and 2 knees and I wanted all of them on undug soil!  It wasn't as bad as playing Twister, but close.  I suppose the bulbs don't really care if the soil is a bit stepped on above them (all the soil is fairly friable) but I made the effort.

Thankfully, tomorrow will be as nice as today (sunny, light breeze, mid-60s).  It hasn't rained for over a week, so the soil is not destroyed by walking on it.  I hate to walk on garden soil anytime, but there is no avoiding it in this project.

So I will be finishing this project tomorrow, at least.  The right landscaping box will be beautiful next Spring.

I say the right box because I made a major OOPS!  I had planned for both boxes to have the same 2 daffodils, but when I set out the 100 flags to plant 50 bulbs of each type, I went and planted 2 bulbs in each hole.  So that leaves none for the left box.

It may have been a subconcious correction.  I had been concerned that the left box (not only on the north side of the house but also shaded for the small amount of western sunlight by the 5' raised front steps walls).  Even daffodils need some sunlight...  I'll just have to think of something else for Spring color there (or simply live without it on that side).  I'm thinking Primrose, Trillium, and Hepatica for deep shade Spring color.  But I'll have to buy them next Spring.

No comments:

Dr Visit

I put off the annual exams because of Covid, but went today (been 6 years, actually).  More questions from the Dr than I remember from past ...