Sunday, September 12, 2010

More on Hummers

I occurred to me today, re-reading my last post about the hummer, that there was more I wanted to say about these delightful little things.  While I have a feeder back by the toolshed (so they won't be disturbed much), I get the most enjoyment from them at the feeder that hangs under the house eave at the deck door.

They visit that one often.  When I can stand still just inside the house for long enough, I am often rewarded with a close-up view of them feeding.  They can see through the glass doors, and if I move, they leave.  They are brave for wild birds, but 2' away is too close.  So I have to remain very still and become part of the furniture background.

I've had a few opportunities to get pictures of them at that feeder. 



I don't try too often, but it is nice to have some close pictures.  Maybe I will get one hovering some day...

4 comments:

Thumper said...

I dunno, seeing one still is impressive...they're beautiful, but busy.

My next tattoo is going to be a hummingbird..in honor of my always busy MIL. Apropos to nothing, I guess ;)

Lone Star Purrs said...

My feeders have always been near a window. I think we had 2-3 hummers when we lived in S. TX. They would chase each other around. In AL, they would hover in front of the window and stare at me (it seemed) if the feeded needed to be refreshed! I'll have to go see if I have any good pics to share.
~LSP Momma Becca

Jacqueline said...

Great photos=they are adorable birds!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Good photos. That one bird looks like he is glaring at you -- 'what are you looking at'.

Have you considered placing some 'one way' film on that window? Not sure how much that would cost or how well it would work, but it might be worth a little research, anyway.

Refrigerator Troubles

You may recall I was planning to have a new refrigerator delivered tomorrow.   The deal was that I would have the new one in the kitchen, th...