Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mom

My mother died today of natural causes.  She was 83 years old.  My father was with her at the end.  To my knowledge, they loved each other unreservedly all their years together.

I loved her while a child, I admired her while a teenager, and we were friends all the days of my adult life.   As her first-born child (of 4), I probably received an unfair amount of attention, and I thrived on it.

From the day I left home to attend college to the time about 5 years ago when Parkinsons Disease robbed her of her ability to write, we corresponded regularly.  Her letters were always insightful, humorous, and responsive to mine.  We enjoyed challenging each other to be clever.  If she wrote about a party invitation she had sent out in rhyme, I would respond in kind pretending I was accepting (we lived far apart, so it was only in fun).  We enjoyed each others wit and wisdom.   We wrote about our cats' antics.  She always loved Siamese cats (and here I am now with two).  When she could no longer write letters by hand, she obtained a Brother word processor and typed out letters with great difficulty.  Sadly, she became unable to do that in the last few years.  My lifelong correspondent was gone, and it does not work by telephone.

She gave me her sense of sly humor, a love of the vagaries and frustrations of the English language, an appreciation of classical and broadway music, a love of reading and writing, the impractical beauty of flowers, and a love of cats.

I would not be the person I am today if not for her.

She met my dad the first week at college and they never dated anyone else from that day.  Dad was a year ahead, so she graduated in 3 years to catch up.  She was a promising stage actress in college, being the leading lady in several college plays, but did not attempt a career at it.

She was happy to be a wife and mother.  She was an avid golfer. She told Dad she wouldn't date any guy who didn't play golf, so he learned the game and became an avid golfer himself (getting to a zero handicap at one point).  They played golf constantly for decades.

MEMORIES

Learning to cook:  I was chief potato peeler and masher.  I cracked walnuts for her wonderful banana cake (I have never seen a banana cake remotely like hers).  When I left home, I used to ask her for the recipe.  She would laugh and say I would get the recipe when she died.  Fortunately, she sent it to me 10 years ago and I have made one every few months since then.  She also made a Boston Cream Pie (a cake actually) to die for.  But I lost my sweet tooth after college and she stopped making it.  But she sent me off to college with basic cooking skills, and that has done me well ever since.

Classical and Broadway music:  We listened to classical music at dinner most nights.  I came to love it.  But my best memories are of broadway musicals.  We learned all the songs of Camelot, The Sound of Music, Tenderloin, etc.  Her favorite was Tenderloin.  We memorized every song.  To this day, I can pretty much sing all the songs at will.  She loved it so much that before the recorded album was released, we would write down the lyrics as they were played on the radio.  Yes, there WERE stations that played broadway songs back in the 60's.  And just a few days ago, my best friend recalled that I used to sing the Camelot songs to myself while in college (I don't remember that, but friends know things about you that you don't know yourself).

Her endless childhood stories:  Everyone tends to repeat the same stories of their childhood.  The ones that you learn to anticipate word-by-word.  I know how she got her first cat, how one of her brothers accidentally killed his first dog, how she cut her wrist open closing the glass door, the stories of her relatives, etc.  I know them by heart.  But I will never hear her tell them again...

Learning to sew:  Yes, I learned to sew; few guys do.  I was always curious about how things worked.  I must have expressed some curiousity about sewing at some point.  I learned the basics.  She taught me to hem pant cuffs, do a chain stitch, and darn socks.  I'm not very good at it, but I can get by.  That's another thing more guys should learn.  And from what I understand these days, more women, too.  Maybe I should mention that her Dad was a tailor...

Language:  Mom taught me to read before I entered Kindergarten.  That may be common today, but it was rare in the 50s.  Parents read to their children, but she encouraged me to read to her at bedtime.  I recall going to the town library to get my library card.  I had to write my name and address.  I could have written a short essay!  Apparently, I was a surprise to the librarian because of my young age.  I read voraciously.  By the time I was 12, I had exhausted the "teenage" reading library and was allowed to check out adult books.  I thank Mom for that lifetime gift.  I have been a reader all my life.

Humor:  I'll combine creativity and humor here.  Mom taught me to love language, puns, and humor.  She was creative in everything she did.  An example:  The club they belonged to had a "Crazy Hat Party" once.  Dad made her a cardboard hat with a wide brim.  We attached my Ben Hur Chariot Race figurines all around it.  2nd place had some peacock feathers on a regular hat.  Mom won by a landslide.  There was no such thing as "over the top" with her.  I learned to be creative in everything I did, thanks to her.

I mentioned party invitations earlier.  Mom loved to entertain at parties.  She loved themes.  If the theme was "Beach", there would be fishnets on the walls and driftwood tables.  The invitations she sent out would be crafted in beach-theme poetry.  The food and drinks would be beach-oriented.  When they moved away from me to NH, she would always send me a copy of her poem invitations.  I loved that, and replied in poetry as if an invitee (none of her guests ever did).  My best was a rendition of 'The Raven'.  She loved it!  Her party-throwing days ended 20 years ago so there have not been any clever and delightful party invitations since.  I miss that.

Cats:  Mom was one of the best cat-namers I ever knew.  She would research languages to find the right names.  She loved Siamese cats and we had 2 while I was growing up.  Both were named "Pretty Little Girl".  But it was "Kenani" in Hawaiian and "Hai U Phin" in Thai.  I had a series of wonderful gray tabby cats through the years and tried to give them clever names, but it wasn't until 3 years ago that I got Siameses of my own.  My names weren't as fancy, but when I explained to Mom that their names were from a story about Cro-Magnon characters and described the story, she thought they were very good names.  She could never remember the names of my previous cats (she always called Skeeter "Skeezix" and LC "Elsa"), but she remembered Ayla and Iza correctly.

Nature:  When I was a child, Mom took me around the yard putting out bits of yarn for the birds to make nests with.  Then we rejoiced at seeing the yarn in nests in trees later.  It taught me how to notice bird nests in trees to this day.  And there was "Squinty the Squirrel".  Squinty had one eye.  Mom left toast crusts on the kitchen windowsill for it.  Squinty was a regular visitor for several years.  Later, Mom became the official burier of birds that crashed into the house windows.  We had a whole mini graveyard.  She taught us that animals had lives too.  And that lives end.

There is so much more, of course, but I have to stop somewhere.  It's been a sad Summer.  My sister died suddenly last month and now Mom.  They are the first deaths in the immediate family.  I hardly know how to deal with this.  But putting some of it in writing helps.

I'll end with 2 pictures.

Mom and me...


Mom and Dad a few years ago...

Goodbye, Mom.  I'll miss you all the remaining days of my life.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss . How
wonderful for you to have such a
interesting , loving person in your life.
I think to have great memories of someone
like this to share is thy greatest
give a person could ever have.
I hope the lifetime of memories will
ease your grief and comfort you forever.
Thank you for sharing her with us.
thank you for sharing your life with us.
kay lee Kelly

Jacqueline said...

Dear Mark, I am so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful Mother and best friend...You wrote such a lovely, touching, heartfelt tribute to her and the deep connection you shared is evident in every loving word of memory...I have often thought of you as a classy, Renaissance man and now, I understand where that came from in your upbringing...There is no doubt your Mom cherished you as you did her; my Mom and I have much the same relationship...I send you my sincere condolances over the deep sorrow you have endured with the loss of 2 very special, important women in your life...I will keep you in my prayers; sending you big hugs, my friend.

Thumper said...

I am so, so sorry. Having just lost my dad I have an inkling how you feel, but this is your MOM. And such a friend...it sounds like your relationship with her is one most people would envy...those memories are going to carry you through a lot, I think.

And thank you for sharing her; I got a little choked up reading this, and I'm not typically a choked up kind of person.

Just Ducky said...

Mark, my sympathies to you on the loss of your mother. She did good to teach you the basics of cooking, sewing etc. Just as my Dad has taught me how to use power tools and other "manly" things.

Hugs from me and purrs from the boys.

The Island Cats said...

Mark, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. You have my heartfelt condolences (and headbutts from the cats).

The Island Cats' mom

The Adventures of Scarlett and Melly said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing those memories of your mom. She sounds like a truly wonderful woman.

AFSS said...

Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to your Mother was lovely. She sounds like a wonderful woman and a terrific Mother. You were very lucky to have had her.

Anonymous said...

Condolences Mark...words fail as usual during times like this.

Your mother was obviously a warm, loving and smart lady who raised you well - I can imagine her pride in you, it must have been immense.

Scott

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

Mark, I am so very sorry to hear your news. What a fine and loving elegy you have written.
I am a mother (and grandma) myself ~ and if one day one of my beloved boys writes about me in such a way after I have died ~ I will be thrilled. No mother could ask for a more genuine and warm expression of love.

Blessings and condolances to you.

Jan x
Milo and Alfie send purrs.

Anonymous said...

My own mother is 83, so this rings for me.

I hope you find to joy she gave you while you wrestle with the painof her loss. I firmly beleive there is a balance. The more we love, the more pain we have in the loss.

Remeber her with all your heart, adn help your father in his quest to continue without her, you will need each other.

with the greatest of sympathy.

da bear

AnnDee said...

Mark, my deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your mother. What a wonderful tribute you wrote. I would like to have known your mom. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

I send you thoughts of strength, comfort, and peace. I believe no one ever really dies as long as they are remembered with love. Your mother will live for a long time in your heart.

Love to the kitties, and hugs to you,
AnnDee

Katnip Lounge said...

Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. I think you wrote a wonderful portrait of your Mom, and I think you were very blessed to be her son.
Peace.
Trish

Samantha & Mom said...

Mark, I am sorry for your loss!! Your Mother sounded like a wonderful person who loved you lots!! And taught you how to fend for yourself!! Thank you for sharing her with me!!! I am so sorry about your sister, too!!
((((((HUGS))))))) from Chandra

The Lee County Clowder said...

Sending comforting purrrrss and gentle headbuttss.

Your Mom must have been a wonderful woman to grow up with and to know.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mark, what a hard summer. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your mother sounds like she was a true gem.

So many hugs to you.

Rhi

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...