Sunday, September 19, 2010

Decks and other Constructions

I will say straight out that I am a very functional structure-builder.  By that, I mean that nothing ever falls (my friends say I seriously overbuild everything).  But it is never especially pretty.  I don't have the artistic skills to make visitors say "Oh what a lovely deck".

My simple goal is that anything I build be functional and durable.  Artistic comes in last place.  If the deck stands rigid while 20 people are doing a conga line on it, that is a successful deck to me.

I mention this to explain my latest project...

The foundations of the deck are solid.  There are angular braces that make it rock solid; I have more of those than any deck needs, but more is better than less.  The foundation of the deck is is made of exterior glue, 100's of deck screws, 6" lag screws, and 8" carriage bolts.  But the less structural parts are weak.  I had no training at it, and there were errors.

The top rails are wide and flat (the better for leaning on).  For example, I would never use nails again, but deck screws instead.  But I attached the top rails to the posts with simple nails.  20 years ago, I did not realize that heavy boards would move.  I know better know.

Over the years, the toenail connections of the top boards failed, some deck boards warped up, etc.  I decided I needed to either completely rebuild the top or repair it.  I decided to repair it,  The deck itself is a solid as a cement base.  I think I could drop a car on it without damage.  But the top needed repairs.  The side rails and the front rails had completely disconnected.

Corners of the top rails had separated after 20 years and the top rails wobbled a bit.  Some deck boards had warped up pulling the nails loose.  Some deck rail tops were twisted.  Nails were coming loose

Here are examples:





Tomorrow, I decide to get at "Fixing It".  Time to take action...

No comments:

Adventures In Driving

 Last month, my cable box partially died, so they sent a replacement.  But they wanted the old one back anyway.  The store in town only hand...